The Alverno High School Mission:
To empower each young woman to be exactly the person she wants to be.
Alverno Heights Academy is an independent, Catholic, college preparatory school for young women dedicated to preparing them to function in a society as informed, knowledgeable persons, who have the requisite skills to make and implement mature decisions about complex problems.
Enlivened by the spirit of its Immaculate Heart Community sponsors, and mindful of the Franciscan roots of its founders, Alverno's program-- academic, spiritual, aesthetic, social, and physical-- is shaped by the staff, trustees, and students in light of the world for which the students are being educated.
The Philosophy of Alverno Heights Academy
Alverno Heights Academy intends to prepare knowledgeable young women of conscience and conviction to function in their world with the courage to take risks in the pursuit of values, and with the ability to apply untried solutions to problems. We also intend to create an environment in which students can develop the humility and humor needed to learn from their mistakes; in which they can experience the joy that comes from behaving with a spirit of generosity; and in which they can grow in the compassion necessary to live as peace-makers in the global community. Underlying the educational process at Alverno are the following Christian assumptions:
- That the fundamental dignity of every person is based not on possessions or accomplishments, but on being created in God's image, redeemed by Jesus Christ, and destined for resurrection;
- That the radical challenges of the Gospel and the social teachings of the Catholic Church call for lives of justice, compassion, and service;
- That the planet earth and all created beings are a legacy to each generation and thus to be respected, protected, and --where possible -- restored;
- That consciousness of the Sacred is fostered by a mature understanding of Sacramental meaning and ritual.
For and with our students we seek:
- To provide a curriculum of academic excellence, encompassing multiple disciplines;
- To articulate and advance the rights of all women and the oppressed to full and equal participation in a democratic society;
- To use not only books, but also the arts and technologies to communicate information that leads to an understanding and response as part of the global community;
- To promote cooperation and tolerance as values, and encourage a responsible solution of conflicts;
- To foster healthy friendships as the basis of strong community bonding;
- To develop and cultivate leadership skills which will advance them in their decision-making both at Alverno and the world of which they are members.