From Our Head of School
July 10, 2017
To our Alverno Family,
I am very excited to welcome each of you back to Alverno Heights Academy and the new school year. Our theme this year is Her-story Starts Here! It is a very appropriate theme for this year. As the proud Head of School of Alverno Heights Academy, I am pleased to tell you of the many changes that have occurred this summer. We have had a change in our administration:
- Ms. Cam Werley-Gonzales as the Assistant Head of School will oversee the academic program and all scheduling. If you have questions about the academic program, please contact her at email@example.com.
- Ms. Megan Hoover has joined the team as the Dean of Students, while retaining her position as the Director of College Counseling. She is in her new office in the beautiful Learning Technology Center and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have some new teachers and staff this year, as well:
- Ms. Deanne Carnighan M.A., former Alverno student and former 8th grade teacher at St. Rita, will be joining our faculty in the English and Theology departments. Ms. Carnighan will be teaching English 9 Honors, American Literature Honors, and ninth grade Theology.
- Ms. Kari Irvin, M.Ed. will be the chair and a teacher in the Social Studies department, as well as the Dean of Faculty. Ms. Irvin will be teaching AP U.S. History and World History.
- Ms. Ivy Chew is our new Varsity Volleyball coach. Ms. Chew is an experienced club and boys’ and girls’ volleyball coach.
- Mr. Elmer Melara is our new Utility Engineer and has joined the Facilities Department.
- Ms. Alexandra Fanara ‘03 is now Ms. Grimstad and her new email address is: email@example.com.
There will be brief biographies on each of our new faculty and staff members on the website.
We have been working diligently on the operational and planning phase of the Alverno Athletic Fields’ Capital Campaign. We have been meeting with many alumnae and friends of Alverno. Throughout this very positive experience, it has been most rewarding to bring the Alverno family back together across the years. Stay tuned as you will be learning more about our campaign this fall!
Our new freshman class, as well as our transfer students, have just finished the week learning about Alverno. They will bring a wonderful energy to the campus in the fall. The Class of 2021 are a large class and are full of enthusiasm! They have already begun to make deep friendships.
I am so thrilled to be the leader of such an amazing institution. We are blessed with incredibly caring parents who are devoted to their daughter’s education, gifted and talented faculty who are dedicated to our students, and students who blow me away each and every day with their successes both large and small.
Let your daughter’s story begin or continue this year—Her-story Starts Here! Welcome to all as we begin the new school year together!
Julia V. Fanara, M.A., M.Ed., P ’01, P ’03, and P ‘05
Head of School
From the Assistant Head of School
Dear Students and Parents/Guardians,
Welcome to the 2017-2018 school year! Your preliminary schedule is included in your summer mailing. If you would like to adjust your schedule, please contact Ms. Werley-Gonzales by email at firstname.lastname@example.org OR come to campus for a schedule change (first come first serve) at the following dates/times:
Wednesday July 12, 2017, 1:00pm-3:00pm
Wednesday August 9, 2017, 10:00am-12:00pm
Please realize that the schedule you are receiving in this mailing is PRELIMINARY and is subject to change through the Studies Office. Should you request a schedule change, we will do our best to honor it, but we will not always be able to do so due to various scheduling constraints. Changes will not be made for teacher preference. Any major schedule change will require a parent/guardian’s written permission. Your final schedule will be available on PowerSchool before the first day of school on Thursday, August 17, 2017.
Now that you have your preliminary schedule, you are equipped to begin purchasing your books. The EdTech online bookstore opened on Monday, July 10, 2017. Please see the EdTech ordering instructions on the “Back to School” section of the Alverno Heights Academy website at alvernoheightsacademy.org.
For your convenience, below is a list of important dates coming up in July and August:
EdTech online bookstore opens for book orders. The bookstore can be found at ahs.etechcampus.com.
Wednesday, July 12: Ms. Werley-Gonzales available for schedule changes in the Front Office from 1:00pm-3:00pm
Monday, July 17-Friday, August 4: Alverno Heights Academy Closed for Summer Break
Monday, August 7: Alverno Office Re-Opens at 8:00am
Wednesday, August 9: Ms. Werley-Gonzales available for schedule changes in the Front Office from 10:00am-12:00pm
Thursday, August 17: First Day of School. All students must report to campus at 7:55am. Dismissal varies based on grade level. See information regarding the first days of school on the additional letter in the mailing and on the website.
We are looking forward to seeing you all again and beginning an exciting new year. Hope your summer is going well and that you are getting a well-deserved rest.
Assistant Head of School