Summer Institute courses are open to female middle school and high school students, including incoming 9th Grade students, from Alverno as well as the external community for grades 6-12.
The Summer Institute provides a great opportunity for Alverno’s incoming 9th Grade students to experience the campus and faculty (and make new friends) before entering High School in the Fall. Some courses are designed only for incoming Alverno 9th Grade students. Please see the following pages for more information.
Registration opens online on Thursday, March 23, 2017.
If you have questions about registration, contact the Summer Institute Director Suzy Ares at 626-355-3463, ext. 112 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Full tuition must be submitted at the time of registration.
- You may pay online by credit card. Checks and Cash are not accepted. Payments must be made online only.
ADD/DROP & WITHDRAWAL
- The deadline to Add or Drop (without financial penalty) a class is Friday, June 2, 2017 (except Review Courses).
- After the Add/Drop period, a student may Withdraw from a class (without full refund).
- To Add, Drop or Withdraw from a class, go to www.alvernoheights.org, click on “Summer Institute” and submit your change.
- As of Wednesday, June 15, 2017, any student on a class roster will receive a grade unless she officially Withdraws from the class.
- Students who exceed the absence or tardy limits or stop attending class without Withdrawing will receive a “Fail” in graded courses.
Refunds for Dropping or Withdrawing from a class:
- Drop through June 7 100% refund (except Review Courses)
- Withdraw June 8 – June 15 80% refund
- Withdraw on or after June 17 No refund
- Textbook fees are nonrefundable.
Any course with insufficient enrollment may be Cancelled by June 9 at the discretion of the Summer Institute Director. Notice of cancellation will be made to all students enrolled in a Cancelled course. Full tuition and fees will be refunded if a course is Cancelled.
THE LEARNING CENTER
- The Alverno Summer Institute Learning Center is a computer lab and study center where students can access the Alverno online courses (for Hybrid/Online courses), find a quiet place to study and get help with homework.
- Hours: Monday – Thursday, 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Friday 8:00-2pm
- Students on campus must be either in class or in the Learning Center.
- All students who attend the Learning Center must sign a contract agreeing to adhere to the Learning Center’s hardware/software usage policies and behavioral expectations, as well as Alverno High School’s standards.
- Students who earn a D or F on a test (not quiz) or whose course grade drops to a D or F are required to attend the Learning Center 1½ – 3 hours per week.
DROP-OFF & PARKING
- Students may be dropped off at either the Michillinda Avenue or Wilson Street parking lots.
- Parking is available only in the lower lot on Wilson Street. As a courtesy to school neighbors, please do not park on residential streets near campus.
- Alverno High School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, and racial or ethnic origin in the administration of its education policies, admission policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic or other school-administered programs.
- Alverno High School will attempt to make reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities.
- Summer Institute students are considered representatives of Alverno Heights Academy and should conduct themselves in a manner consistent with Alverno’s philosophy: Students are expected to treat others with dignity and act in accordance with basic Christian principles.
- Any disruption to the educational process will not be tolerated, and students may be asked to leave. Refunds will not be given to any student asked to leave.
- Academic dishonesty refers to any behavior, such as cheating on exams or plagiarism, that violates Alverno standards. An overt act of academic dishonesty may result in immediate Withdrawal and a failing grade in the course.
- Issues of academic dishonesty are reviewed by the Summer Institute Director along with the class teacher.
For more information about Alverno’s policies, please see the Student/Parent Handbook, available in the front office or online.
Alverno students may not receive credit toward graduation from a summer course taught outside Alverno without the express written permission of the Assistant Head of School.
- While on campus, all students must wear:
- A white or navy blue plain polo-style shirt; it must have sleeves and be loose fitting
- Denim or tan pants or shorts (shorts may be no shorter than 3.5” above the knees; denim may not be torn)
- Shoes that cover the toes and have a back strap
The following are not permitted:
- Miniskirts or short shorts
- Bare midriffs, backs or shoulders (tops must have sleeves)
- Skintight pants, leggings, sweatpants or pajama bottoms
- Flip flops or sandals without a back strap
- Clothing or accessories advertising illegal substances, activity or symbols contrary to Alverno philosophy (i.e., alcohol, drugs, Playboy bunnies, etc.)
- Jewelry for piercings may only be worn in the ears .
- Hair color must be a naturally occurring color.
- Dress Code Standards
- All students must be dressed modestly at all times.
Any student who violates the dress code will receive one demerit for each of the first two offenses and a detention for the third offense.
Repeated offenses may result in dismissal from the Summer Institute and a failing grade in the course.
Come Join Us for the 13th Annual Alverno
ALL SPORT CONDITIONING CAMP
Once again it is time to start preparing for our conditioning camp. This year’s camp will be held from Sunday, July 16th to July 22nd at the beautiful Sycamore Canyon campgrounds. Sycamore Canyon is just north of Malibu and has great running trails as well as Sycamore Cove Beach that is a short walk from camp. The camp grounds are operated by the State Parks Department which includes a Rangers station at the camp site. There are hot showers and regular bathrooms close to the camp site. We will have a large camping area under the trees. Camping will be dormitory style, with large tents that will include air mattresses for your comfort. The food tent will have drinks, snacks, and a wide assortment of food to eat throughout the day. Dinners will be prepared by Coach Berry, Coach Alex, and Coach Campos. We stay warm around the camp fire at night, and, of course, there are smores. This camp accommodates all levels of athletes, both JV and Varsity. The camp is open to only Alverno students including incoming freshmen.
The camp runs for 7 days and nights and will cost $295.00. If you would like PE credit (2.5 units) the fee will be $425.00 (most sports team members do not need more PE credits). The fee is paid on the Alverno Summer Institute website and must be paid no later than July 12th. This is an Alverno sanctioned student only camp that will have a female chaperone. I have found that this camp is a great opportunity for all Alverno students, including incoming freshmen, to bond with other Alverno students. Please contact me if you are interested as there is paperwork that must be filled out.
For more information please contact either Coach Berry at (818) 585-2086 or email@example.com, Coach Alex firstname.lastname@example.org, Coach Campos email@example.com, or Ms. Ares our Summer Institute Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or 626 355-3463 ext. 112